Half Cooked Lean

Top

Sunday, December 2, 2012

ASQ CSSGB Exam Preparation



I gave my ASQ CSSGB exam yesterday on 1st Dec’12. The exam I had planned for almost a year. After getting mentally prepared I registered myself for the exam on 24th Sep’12. So I had almost 2 months for preparation. My earlier knowledge of the topics, related experience and some internet research related to exam helped me in utilizing the 2 months effectively. However, these 2 months could have been utilized more effectively, had i studied earlier more consistently to avoid the last week marathon study. Surely the lessons learned during this endeavor will help me in future.

In this article, I would like to summarize my whole journey of preparation for CSSGB exam.

To start with, I would like to list the books I used for exam preparation. These are the only resources I relied upon, in addition to gaining understanding of some topics with the help of internet which are difficult to grasp through the book content.

  • The Certified Six Sigma Green Belt Handbook – ASQ Publication

  • CSSGB Primer and Solution Text – QCI Publication

 If you are planning to give CSSGB exam, must buy these two books and I am sure this is enough to get through ASQ CSSGB exam.

The exam is based upon the BoK (Book of Knowledge) published by ASQ which gives list of topics and the knowledge level required. Before starting, go through the BoK and evaluate your level of understanding of topics. If more than 80 % of the Bok looks new to you than it’s time that you should give at least 5-6 months’ time prior to exam for studying these topics. This scenario is very much expected from the people who do not have prior experience in lean and six sigma. But if you feel yourself comfortable with the topics then in my opinion 2 months of study is enough for the preparation.

I started my preparation with complete reading of CSSGB handbook. It took me almost 3 weeks to read the book completely because the book content is not that much simple. Sometimes I used to read the same topic 4-5 times  to understand it completely. However, because this was my first attempt so I didn’t wanted to leave any topic of Bok untouched. While reading, do not restrict yourself to content of the book only, if you find it difficult to understand any particular topic from book, take help of internet or any other resources to have complete understanding.

After finishing the handbook, I started reading the QCI primer. The primer is written in very simple language and the topics are covered in a very effective manner to ensure your complete understanding of fundamentals. I used to read the section of primer followed by solving the blue page questions given in the end of each section and understanding the reason/logic behind the answer with the help of solution text.

Most of the sections of primer are easy to understand except the statistical part which needs some effort incase you are new to statistics. Do not panic in statistical part, make your concepts clear, CSSGB does not demand expertise in statistics. Making notes which will help you in last couple of days before exam.

Then after completing the Primer and solution texts,I've read the CSSGB handbook once again. This time I completed the book in almost 1 week. Confidence started building in me because now I had the knowledge of most of the topics. In the last week before the exam I completed my Primer and solution texts once again.

The day before the exam concentrate more on the topics that are difficult (in my case it was the statistical part). I read the solution text completely and made notes from the explanations given in the solution text.


Remember you are not allowed to carry any MCQ’s booklet or solution text with you in the exam.


Since it is an open book exam, make sure to carry all the reference material and notes. Remember to carry enough pen, pencils, calculator, exam center detail etc. Reach the exam center at least 45 Min in advance. Do not panic and relax.

Exam Day

Exam was very easy compared to what I anticipated. 4 Hr time is more than enough to complete 100 questions. Although the result not yet declared but I am hoping for a good outcome as I gave it my best effort all the way till the day of exam.

If you need any help related to exam preparation or for study material, do not hesitate to write me on er.zaid.2004@gmail.com

I have passed the exam successfully.

1 comment :

  1. Thanks Zaid. That was an excellent post. Regarding study material, dropped a mail to your id. Please do the needful. Regard, Amar

    ReplyDelete

You can ask for more Information by mailing at er.zaid.2004@gmail.com